Here at Quality Unearthed we like to look at things in life with the ‘glass is always half full’ state of mind, after all, why would you want to look at things any other way? We get to talk about glamping, treehouse holidays, UK hideaway & shepherds huts, and gypsy caravan trips all day though, so how could we ever possibly be pessimists?
If your outlook is less straightforward than ours then let us help you with these 11 optimistic quotes about life, and your frown will surely be turned upside down!
1. Famous and much-loved and highly esteemed actor, Tom Hanks, once said “I think it’s better to feel good than to look good.”
2. Relaxing and enjoying a break was obviously something high on Novelist, Henry James’s agenda. A quote taken from his 1881 novel, The Portrait of a Lady, Henry James “There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.”
3. Something we like to live by ourselves: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou (1928-2014), winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
4. Possibly one of the finest quotes ever from Dr Seuss “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” (Theodor Seuss Geisel, 1904-1991), author and illustrator of children’s books including The Cat in the Hat.
5. A gem from AA Milne, author of the Winnie the Pooh books, “What day is it?” asked Pooh. “It’s today,” squeaked Piglet. “My favourite day,” said Pooh.
6. “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862). Henry was an American author, poet and philosopher, and clearly a man who spoke sense.
7. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.” Nelson Mandela (1918-2013). President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999.Nothing more can be added to such wise words from a great man.
8. Booker Prize winning author, Hilary Mantel; “The things you think are the disasters in your life are not the disasters really. Almost anything can be turned around: out of every ditch, a path, if you can only see it.”
9. This quote from CS Lewis is a wonderful one that should give us all something positive from his insightful words. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” CS Lewis was a novelist, poet and medievalist, who wrote The Chronicles of Narnia.
10. A line taken from Les Miserables, by French novelist, Victor Hugo (1802-1885). “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
11. “Life is a mirror, if you frown at it, it frowns back; if you smile, it returns the greeting.” An inspiring quote from William Makepeace Thackeray, the English author of Vanity Fair.