As a mark of respect for Earth Day, celebrated on April 22 every year, the day set aside to recognise peace and demonstrate support for environmental protection, we thought we would give you 10 excellent facts about Earth you probably didn’t know……

 This spectacular “blue marble” image is the most detailed true-colour image of the entire Earth to date.
….These facts are pleasant reads and something to think about while enjoying one of our tree house holidays in England.

  • The mass of the Earth is about six billion trillion tons. Just to break that down, that’s 6 followed by 21 zeros.
  • In its orbit around the Sun, the Earth is moving at a speed of about 66,611mph.
  • Water covers 70.8% of the Earth’s surface, which leaves 29.2% covered by land.
  • The length of a day on Earth is increasing by around 17 milliseconds per century.
  • There are more than 1,000 artificial satellites and 21,000 pieces of man-made space debris over 10cm (4 inches) in size orbiting the Earth.
  • Earth is not an exact sphere, with a pole to pole diameter 26.5 miles less than at the equator.
  • Uneven gravity means someone weighing 150lb at the equator would be 151lb at the North Pole. 
  • If all the Earth’s land were shared equally among all the people, we would get an area equal to about 2.7 football pitches each.
  • Earth is the only planet in the Solar System not named after a Roman or Greek god.
  • The first Earth Day, on April 22, 1970, fell by coincidence on the 100th anniversary of Lenin’s birthday, which led some Americans to denounce it as a communist plot.

 

Image: NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre under Creative Commons

Comments are closed.