1. Important information and who we are
This privacy notice provides information on how we collect and process your personal information when you make a booking or booking enquiry through us, visit our website, contact us or use our services. This privacy notice is separate to our booking conditions and other important information available on our website and does not replace them.
We are Awaze Vacation Rentals Ltd ('we' or 'us'), part of the Awaze group, details of which can be found here https://www.awaze.com/. We operate under a number of brands including Quality Unearthed, Quality Cottages, Hoseasons, Cottages.com, Cottages4you, Blue Chip Holidays, Mulberry Cottages, Cumbrian Cottages, Scottish Cottages, Northumbrian Cottages, Derbyshire Cottages, Wales Cottages, Yorkshire Cottages, English Country Cottages, Scottish Country Cottages, Welsh Country Cottages, The Arran Team, Salcombe Holiday Homes, Dartmouth Holiday Homes, Welcome Cottages, Cottages Direct and Chez Nous.
We, as controller, are responsible for your personal information. We will keep your personal information secure and use the information you provide in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection legislation and the terms of this privacy notice.
2. What personal information do we collect and how?
We will only process personal information about you when we need to and this may include:
- Contact details including phone number, email address and home address
- Payment details
- Date of birth
- Booking information
- Information gathered via cookies (please see section 8 for more information about cookies)
We will only collect special categories of personal information where this is required by us or our suppliers to provide our service to you. We will only process this information to meet your specific requirements (for example, where you provide us with health information, including any difficulties with mobility) or where we are required to do so.
We will generally collect personal information directly from you. If you have booked via one of our booking partners, we will receive your information from them. We may also receive your information from a friend that has sent you a property to view.
The provision of some personal information is a legal or contractual requirement and if you do not provide it, we may not be able to enter into or perform the contract with you and, we can cancel your booking. We will tell you if this is the case and will not be liable to you.
3. How do we use your information and why?
We will only use personal information for certain reasons and when one or more of the following lawful bases apply:
- Where we need to perform the contract we have entered into with you, or take steps to enter into a contract with you
- Where we have your consent
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation
- Where it is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by us or a third party and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
We may process your personal information to:
- Complete your booking
- Let or advertise your holiday accommodation
- Enable you to send a friend a link to a property
- Manage your account with us
- Send service messages, including updating our terms and conditions
- Provide details or information you have requested
- Invite you to leave a review about our services
- Handle customer service queries, including complaints and call recording
- Carry out marketing activities
- Produce and analyse statistics
- Provide your contact details to a third party to provide you emergency assistance in the event of a travel crisis or other unforeseen travel incident whereby we may need to
- Comply with government direction in respect of NHS Test and Trace
- Enforce our booking conditions and other agreements, including investigation of any potential breach
- Detect or prevent crime
- Address security, fraud or technical issues
- Protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users, owners, customers, employees, contractors, a third party or the public
- Test, develop and improve our services
- Establish, exercise or defend our legal right
Where we use your data for some types of marketing, handling customer service queries, statistical purposes, testing, developing, and improving our services and establishing, exercising or defending claims, we do so because it is in our legitimate interests of developing and running an efficient and effective business.
In order to process special categories of personal information, we must have additional justification to do so and will only process this type of information where we have your explicit consent, where you have made the information public, in relation to legal claims or where it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.
4. Who will you share my personal information with?
We may share your personal information with:
- other members of the Awaze group and their service providers
- owners or agents of holiday cottages (if you have made a booking)
- guests of your holiday cottage (if you let your holiday cottage through us)
- our employees and contractors as is necessary in order to provide our services to you
- service providers, acting as processors who provide IT, system administration services, website hosting and support, marketing and other services
- professional advisors, including bankers, lawyers, auditors, accountants and insurers who provide us services
- our preferred insurance provider(s) (if you purchase the personal travel insurance policy we offer)
- credit/debit card companies
- payment service providers
- government agencies, regulators and other authorities
- third party booking or distribution platforms, travel agents and booking partners
- customer review companies and marketing service providers
- third parties that we may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our assets or business to or with and businesses we acquire or merge with
- third parties you have authorised us to speak to
Third parties are required to process your personal information in line with data protection legislation. Where a third party is acting on our behalf, we do not allow them to use your information for their own purposes and we ensure they have appropriate security measures in place to protect your information.
5. International transfers
We will only transfer your personal information outside of the UK where we are satisfied that there are adequate measure in place to protect your personal information in a way that is consistent with, and respects, UK data protection legislation. We will ensure at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- an adequacy decision
- approved contractual measures and where necessary, supplementary measures
If you would like further details of the applicable transfer mechanism, please get in touch (see our contact details in section 11).
6. How long will we hold your information for?
We will only keep your information for as long as necessary. To determine the appropriate retention period, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information, any legal or regulatory requirements and any relevant industry standards or guidelines. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of or deleted in a secure manner or anonymised so that it can no longer be associated with you.
7. Your rights
Under certain circumstances, you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a 'subject access request'). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request rectification of the personal information that we hold about you. It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and correct. Please tell us if your personal information changes during your relationship with us. If the information remains inaccurate or incomplete, you may request that we correct or complete it.
- Request erasure of your personal information (commonly known as the “right to be forgotten”. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it.
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on legitimate interests to process it or using it for direct marketing.
- Request restriction of the processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to limit the way we process your personal information, for example if you dispute the accuracy of the information we hold about you.
- Data portability, which enables you to receive the personal information you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or request that we transmit it directly to a third party.
- Withdraw your consent where we rely on your consent to process your information. You opt out of marketing by following the ‘Click here to unsubscribe link' provided in every newsletter.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising any of these rights, unless your request is unfounded or excessive, in which case we may charge you a reasonable fee or refuse to comply with the request. We may need to request information from you to help us confirm your identity and identify the information you are referring to. This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, get in touch (see our contact details in section 11). We aim to respond to requests within one month. If your request is particularly complex, we are permitted to extend this by two months and will notify you of this. You may not have a right to information if we have responded to a request previously and you have made a repeat request without a reasonable period of time passing between the requests.
We use the following types of cookies:
- 'Strictly necessary' cookies that are essential in order to enable users to move around this website and use its features.
- 'Performance' cookies which collect information about how users navigate this website, for instance which pages users access most frequently. They identify how users interact with our website, find out which pages seem to hold people up, which pages are not used often, which pages take a long time to load, what pages users tend to visit and in what order.
- 'Functionality' cookies which allow this website to remember choices you make. For example, the last holiday you've viewed or property search selections.
- 'Targeting or advertising' cookies used to deliver tailored adverts, limit the number of times a user sees an advertisement and help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign.
We also use some third-party cookies, including:
- Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc.
- Google AdSense, to present you with adverts that may be based on the content you visit the most on our websites. To control these Google Ads, please visit https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/
- Pure Intelligence, a data visualisation and marketing automation software
- HotJar online usability software.
9. Does this privacy notice apply to linked websites?
Our websites may contain links to other websites. This privacy notice only applies to this website. Linked websites will have their own privacy policies that you should read to understand what information they collect about you and how they use it. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
10. How do we update this privacy notice?
We keep our privacy notice under review and we will place any updates on our webpage. We will contact you to let you know about any significant changes.
11. Who can I contact if I have queries about this privacy notice?
You can contact us if you have any questions about our privacy notice or our use of your personal information by email to [email protected] or by writing to us at Data Protection Manager, Awaze Vacation Rentals Ltd, Sunway House, Raglan Rd, Lowestoft NR32 2LW, United Kingdom.
You have the right to raise concerns about our use of your personal information with the Information Commissioner (https://ico.org.uk) at any time, but we encourage you to contact us in the first instance so that we may discuss your concerns.